Sunday, August 5, 2012

Kea fly-by

Ever since I was a kid I've been trying to capture the elusive underside of a Kea's wing.
Late last summer I went up above the Mt Cook Hermitage, past the Sealy tarns to the Mueller Hut for the night - fantastic trip, if you like the outdoors, are reasonably fit, and don't have dodgy knees I can heartily recommend it.
In any case it turns out about 20 kea have made their home around, on, and even under the Mueller hut, ergo I had a whole afternoon to photograph them!  I still found getting the under-wing elusive, but when it came together some of the results were spectacular - my favourite is this kea fly-past, scooting just over the roof of the Muellar Hut.  The summit of Mt Olliver (the first peak Ed Hillary ever climbed) is on the right hand side.


No comments:

Post a Comment